[Cabal] monotone

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Sun Nov 5 21:14:39 EST 2006

Richard Laager spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 11:46 -0500, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> > I'm sure whatever version is in apt is fine, but the one in /usr/local
> > is better.  ;-)
>
> Is there a newer version in experimental we could pick up?
>
> Alternatively, should we build our own monotone package of the new
> version, so that we'll get back on the path of system packages when
> Debian catches up? I'll probably be building a newer package, for use on
> my system.

I don't anticipate Debian "catching up" for some time; monotone
releases pretty regularly (about every 3-4 weeks).  0.30, specifically
has some features that I wanted to make sure we had (speedups, I
think, was the big one, but I don't remember).  I don't anticipate
needing to upgrade (particularly) until workspace merge lands[1], though
every release is generally faster than the last.

Ethan

[1] In the interest of full disclosure before someone gets bit by this
    without warning ... monotone currently doesn't have workspace
    merge, and merge conflicts are handled in a 3-way merge tool.
    It's kind of painful at the moment.  Fortunately, it's pretty
    smart about merging, and conflicts are relatively rare (*very*
    rare compared to svn and cvs merges).

determined to commit crimes.