[Cabal] Contract change

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Wed Nov 8 21:52:50 EST 2006

Stu Tomlinson spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 00:31 -0500, Nathan Walp wrote:
> > Sean, you made mention of a proposed change to the contract in the
> > wiki.  What was the change?  With this proposed change, do we have some
> > kind of estimated timeline for getting this all taken care of?
> > Honestly, I'd like this list to go away, secrecy sucks in an open-source
> > project.
>
> I hate the secrecy too (much like our privacy API), but given the
> "sensitivity" of these issues is it wise to have them on a wiki that
> will ultimately be much more public ?

This is an issue I intended to bring up at some point.  There are both
wiki revisions and tracker items that we may not want just everybody
to see, ultimately.  I intended to ask about private tracker items in
general; such a thing might be useful for other purposes, as well,
like security disclosures.

> While I'm posting to this private list that I don't like:
>
>  - for the code changes that change namespaces can we do this with an
> 'anonymous' username just so it's obvious from
> annotate/blame/vcs_of_the_month_synonym that it was a mass change?

If we use monotone, that's trivial -- just use --author "Namespace
change" or something.

>  - how about we add a task to provide a script to try to re-namespace
> existing plugins as best we can? (for 3rd party plugins that have
> already gone to great pains to keep up with the 2.0.0beta API changes)

If we rename tons of stuff, this would be a good idea; probably we can
get most of the way there with some simple sed on gaim_gtk_ and then
gaim_.  That said, I don't think we should really change API naming,
and this is one of the big reasons.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.