Announcing..

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Sat Apr 7 18:10:56 EDT 2007

Gary Kramlich wrote:
> Luke Schierer wrote:

>>> Well, the slashdot story is in the blue right now, when it gets to red
>>> it'll be published in 20 mins, which is what I have been told.  And we
>>> don't have enough people to keep it off, so what do we want to do when
>>> this hits?  I'm perched and ready to +m #gaim, I've already +m'd
>>> #pidgin.  But without an announcement, and no explanation, we're looking
>>> really bad.
>> Okay, I've got an edited version of my text that I'll post to the
>> pidgin.im news shortly.
>
>> luke
>
> Sounds good, but how should we go about handling #gaim and #pidgin?

I think we should eventually get a Freenode rep to set the redirection
mode from #gaim to #pidgin.  We should establish a win32 channel as well
and probably do the same.  I've already registered #pidgin-win32, so we
could use that, unless we want to use #winpidgin.

I would suggest setting the topic to something concise that explains the
change, like this:

"Welcome to the new home of Pidgin and libpurple, formerly Gaim. | For
more information, see: <URL>"

I think as long as people are there to inform others, it is not at all
unreasonable to remove the +m mode, though it will be swamped quickly.

Kevin