[Cabal] Commit mailing list for pidgin mtn

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Thu Feb 1 11:59:44 EST 2007

Mark Doliner spake unto us the following wisdom:
> For the record I like having the [Commits] tag in the subject line.  I
> find it useful when visually scanning my inbox.

Is your mailer not capable of notating messages to known mailing list
subscriptions?  Assuming that you use mutt, you might look into the
'subscribe' command and the %L index expando.  For me, using a capable
mailreader, this [Commits] information is redundant.

> Also, why do some of the emails only contain, "to get the patch for this
> revision, please do this" and not the commit message or diff?

Probably because there is a size limit on commits sent to the list,
but I'm not sure.  I can look into this, as well.

> And would anyone else prefer to have the diff inline rather than as an
> attachment?

I personally prefer attachments.  Again, my mailreader does something
very reasonable with these -- text attachments are presented inline
when I read the message, but can be saved independently of the rest of
the message.  This can also be changed if consensus is that the
less-rich style is desired.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.