[Cabal] Jabber/XMPP/Google Talk redux

H. Bons H.Bons at student.rug.nl
Sat Feb 3 15:24:19 EST 2007

On Sat, 3 Feb 2007 14:18:31 -0500
  "Mark Doliner" <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 13:41:11 -0500, Nathan Walp wrote
>> Sean Egan wrote:
>> > We never actually did anything as a result of our long
>>discussion.
>> >
>> > I'd prefer "XMPP" or "Jabber" over "XMPP
>>(Jabber/Google Talk)" or
>> > anything like that. Also, I think that if the new
>>website wireframes,
>> > which advertise all our supported protocols mention
>>Google Talk with a
>> > link to a support page about how to configure Jabber
>>to use it, that
>> > will help a lot.
>> >
>> > It would still be nice to move away from "Jabber",
>>since the actual
>> > Jabber community is doing so, even.
>> >
>> > -s.
>>
>> +1 "XMPP"
>
> I agree about moving away from "Jabber."  Just plain
>"XMPP" sounds good to me.
> Should we rename the prpl, too?  Now is not a bad time
>to do it, since we're
> renaming everything else.

I don't agree. A lot of people (read: end users) don't
know  what XMPP is (including me). I am for "XMPP (Jabber,
Google Talk)" or even "Google Talk (XMPP)" and "Jabber
(XMPP)". Because in these cases the user actually learns
something and can find the desired protocol quickly. This
can be done for other of these "child-protocols" too
(AIM/ICQ). I know Jabber and Google Talk, but i haven't
known until recently that they are actually the same, and
i don't think i'm a computer-noob. To you this may be
logic, but think of the end users for a change. :)

Hylke