[Cabal] Commit mailing list for pidgin mtn

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Sun Feb 4 13:56:45 EST 2007

Richard Laager wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-02-04 at 12:26 -0600, Kevin M Stange wrote:
>> I would, of course, prefer to switch on something more reliable and
>> correct.  Up to this point, I have always filtered on the Subject line
>> because it has been possible and seemed the easiest and most reliable
>> method that worked.
>
> So you get messages BCC'ed to the list at the expensive of filing
> messages that were sent off-list and having cross-posted messages go to
> the wrong folder.

For the limited number of mailing lists I am on, that hasn't proven to
be that worrisome to me.  I mostly want off-list posts still related to
Gaim, for example, to go to the same folder as gaim-devel... and I
currently allow commits and devel to go to the same folder.  I've
considered separating them, but I like having the threads attached if
someone cross-posts from commits to devel.  It's rather rare for anyone
to cross-post in the other direction or between any other lists I am
subscribed to.

Part of how software gets used relates to what the user has perceived as
possible when he decides there's a need to do something new.  Most of
the ways I've organized my mail have been functions of how the mailer
lets me organize it.  Since it's been sufficient so far, I haven't ever
seriously worried about what it wasn't doing properly.

This is probably the first time I've ever come to a point where I had
any reason to consider that Thunderbird might just be too brain damaged
to handle a case I might have cause to use.

Kevin