[Cabal] Copyright assignment

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Fri Jan 26 13:54:42 EST 2007

Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'll definitely be asking the lawyers more about this, but I wanted to
> gauge your opinions first. Is requiring copyright assignment something
> you guys are in favor for? Dead against? Somewhere in the middle?

Since I hadn't replied to this yet ... I'm somewhere in the middle, on
this.  I think requiring it will cause us to lose contributors and
present a complication, but I think allowing it isn't a terrible idea
-- for example, I would be willing to sign my copyright over to IMF,
under the agreement that IMF would not relicense my code to a non-free
(insert licensing argument over what is free) license.

So, if there's any value in that sort of optional assignment (I don't
know), I'm all for it.  Otherwise, I'm not convinced.  I'm not dead
set against, either.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.