[Cabal] Bad news from Virginia

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Fri Jan 26 22:04:30 EST 2007

Hylke Bons wrote:
> Ethan Blanton wrote:
>> Gary Kramlich spake unto us the following wisdom:
>>
>>> I disagree that it'd end up turning into number 3 if we change our name,
>>> release, and announce why the name was changed.  I mean obviously there
>>> has to be some record out there proving that they're actively defending
>>> their trademarks and copyrights, so while it may not be general public
>>> knowledge (think news), there has to be a paper trail somewhere.  And if
>>> there isn't, have we just been grinding our gears for over a year?
>>>
>> I don't think there's ever been any question about disclosing the
>> details after we release.  I, at least, understood your suggestion to
>> mean taking this public *before* release or a name change, to put
>> pressure on AOL.
>>
>> Ethan
>
> I don't understand this: is it illegal to say what's holding up 2.0?

I think the idea has been that, in good faith to AOL, we didn't want to
sic the open source community upon them, which could very well have done
more harm than good... and created a lot of negative press.

For what it's worth, I think given the amount already invested in
Pidgin, the name might as well change and get AOL to give up the stupid
name game.  I agree with Daniel that Pidgin does not stand to be a major
target in the grand scheme of IM clients that connect to AOL services,
unless they want to try to claim we're disclosing trade secrets by
providing an open implementation using their protocol.

I'm okay with option 1.

Kevin