.gaim Revisited

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Wed Mar 21 09:18:36 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 08:51 -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Richard Laager spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > Earlier, Sean and I were discussing what to do about .gaim, rename-wise.
> > He said he was thinking about following the XDG Base Directory
> > Specification:
> > http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-0.6.html
>
> I saw this spec before, I saw you mention it, I thought it was a
> horrible idea, and I hoped that this had died.  I see that it has not.

Blame Sean. ;)

Perhaps we just need some migration code to move .gaim to .purple and we
can call it good? Or should we just use .purple if it's there and if
not, fall back to .gaim if it exists?

I'm conflicted here... If we don't move directories now, are we going to
have to deal with it later because of some time limit on using "gaim" in
the code? Do we want to deal with the extra hassle of checking both
directories? Do we want others (Beagle, for example) to have to do that
as well? At the same time, it's not really a big deal, and it avoids all
the problems of automatic migration.

Richard