.gaim Revisited

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Wed Mar 21 11:28:57 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:48 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> > Perhaps we just need some migration code to move .gaim to .purple and we
> > can call it good? Or should we just use .purple if it's there and if
> > not, fall back to .gaim if it exists?
>
> As I see it, a continued use of .gaim will make sense to a vast majority
> of our users.  It will however make increasingly less sense as time goes
> one.

I agree, and I do not like the idea of automated migration either, it
risks losing data in too many scenarios.

I would suggest a simple:

If .gaim exists
   Use .gaim
else
   Create and use .purple

We already use at least some of what is in .gaim for multiple UIs (see
ui-specific options in accounts.xml), I don't see why we can't continue
to get along with each other and share the .purple goodness.

Regards,

Stu.