.gaim Revisited

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury imadil at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 15:11:25 EDT 2007

* Stu Tomlinson had this to say on [21 Mar 2007, 11:28:57 -0400]:
> On Wed, 2007-03-21 at 10:48 -0400, Luke Schierer wrote:
> > > Perhaps we just need some migration code to move .gaim to .purple and we
> > > can call it good? Or should we just use .purple if it's there and if
> > > not, fall back to .gaim if it exists?
> >
> > As I see it, a continued use of .gaim will make sense to a vast majority
> > of our users.  It will however make increasingly less sense as time goes
> > one.
>
> I agree, and I do not like the idea of automated migration either, it
> risks losing data in too many scenarios.
>
> I would suggest a simple:
>
> If .gaim exists
>    Use .gaim
> else
>    Create and use .purple

How about this change:

* If .gaim exists
	- Tell the user about the whole gaim -> purple thing.
	- Ask the user whether she wants us to automatically rearrange the
	  data. This will detail the exact changes that will be made. If the
	  user rejects the suggestion, give her an option to not show this
	  helpful suggestion in the future (the default would be to show it
	  everytime).
	- Do not use .gaim. This will force the user to do something about
	  the whole thing.

* Create (if necessary) and use .purple

> We already use at least some of what is in .gaim for multiple UIs (see
> ui-specific options in accounts.xml), I don't see why we can't continue
> to get along with each other and share the .purple goodness.

I agree. May be we can symlink .pidgin (and .finch and the whole lot) to
.purple just to make sure the user knows where the data is actually
stored.