When to announce

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Fri Mar 30 14:37:16 EDT 2007

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 16:40:21 -0700, Sean Egan wrote
> On 3/29/07, Sean Egan <seanegan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oh man, April 1st... good idea!
>
> I just realized this reads like we shouldn't do the April Fool's
> thing. We should do it, but hopefully in a way that nobody believes
> it, and causes headaches ;)

I don't think I'm going to be able to talk you guys out of it, but I think
this is a bad idea.  Doing something small, playful and harmless for April
Fool's Day is cool, but I feel like announcing that there won't be any more
Gaim releases is going to confuse more people than it amuses.  People expect
April Fool's jokes to be silly and made up.

It's also strange to me to announce that we're changing our name on April 1st
as a joke, but then make a second announcement that we're changing our name a
few weeks later, but this time it's real.  People are going to be like, "what...?"

-Mark