Patches

Eric Polino aluink at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 02:12:32 EDT 2007

I'm Eric, and I'll be working on Finch this summer under Sadrul.

I'm new to the idea of open source culture and have heard of several
ways the projects like to have their patches submitted.  I'm wondering
what the acceptable way to do it here with Pidgin has been and/or is.

I read the UsingPidginMonotone page on the wiki and it seems odd that
you would allow commits from developers just like that.  Who can
commit?  Who can merge branches?  I've used mercurial a bit in the
past, so the idea of DVCSes isn't new to me.  In fact, on my local box
I've copied my monotone repo to another folder where i've put it under
Hg for both familiarity and the built in quilt features, called MQ in
Hg.

Which brings me to another question.  I've been told that the
submission of a patch that does more than one fix is a big nono.  So
the advent of quilt and patch stacks has helped in working out those
issues.  Hg has that built into it's VCS so that MQ is aware of the
versioning and works very nicely with merges.  I had a friend of mine
explain it well to me,and it seems really slick.  Anyhow, the point
is, how does monotone deal with that?  Or more importantly how do you
deal with that in Pidgin?  What has been your method of dealing with
this issue?

Eric

--
"...indexable arrays, which may be thought of as functions whose
domains are isomorphic to contiguous subsets of the integers."