Deadline

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Sun Apr 8 22:35:36 EDT 2007

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 18:36:24 -0700, Sean Egan wrote
> On 4/8/07, Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2007-04-08 at 18:17 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> > > Also, we may now start using ™ in
> > > conjunction with the word Pidgin as a precursor to registering a
> > > trademark, if we decide to do that. Thoughts?
> >
> > I'd like to avoid the stupid ™ unless it's necessary from a legal
> > perspective. I think we should register Pidgin as a trademark, unless
> > the fees are really excessive.
>
> They are not excessive ($200-300, I think), but you are not allowed
> to register a trademark until you're actually using the mark in
> trade, which we're not yet doing. This is something we can only do
> after a release. a ™ is certainly not necessary, but would be a good
> way to assert our interest in protecting this mark until we're able
> to legally register it.

Well I think we're definitely interested in protecting the name.  Registering
a trademark sounds like a good idea to me.  I don't have a strong opinion
either way on using ™, but I'm sure there will be tons of places where we
forget to use it.

-Mark