postgrey

Luke Schierer lschiere at users.sf.net
Mon Apr 9 11:33:12 EDT 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:45:33AM -0400, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> Ethan Blanton spake unto us the following wisdom:
> > As I have requested *numerous* times -- turn postgrey off.
>
> From the original message:

>     Mon, 09 Apr 2007 10:39:19 EDT
>
> I rest my case.
>
> Ethan

More because I'm unable to figure out why it would ever delay somedthing
more than 300 seconds than because I'm convinced with your arguments in
theory, I have turned it off.

I've been running spamprobe on my mail here, with a cron job teaching it
on the spam it misses (all of it) since we set up pidgin.im.

I now have over 1000 pieces of spam it has missed, some of which
spamassassin has caught.  All of these reached us via SF, and so
bypassed the greylisting.  On schierer.org, I have gotten spamprobe to
catch some, but far from all of my spam and only with the combination of
spamprobe and spamassisin *both* scanning my mail (spamassasin filtering
after spamprobe and filtering into the directory spamprobe learns from),
am I catching a decent percentage of my spam.

At accelerated servers, I get a hand ful of spams per week, down from
spam levels equivalent to my SF account, since installing postgrey.  I
see this as proof that it does better for preventing spam than any
filter I've met.

luke