Direct IM requests and the Request API

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Sat Apr 14 11:59:48 EDT 2007

We of the Adium camp would like to handle Direct IM requests a bit
differently than how they are currently handled... I'd appreciate
your thoughts.

Currently, a Direct IM request goes through the Request API to the
Action callback.  A new window is shown which allows the user to
accept or refuse the request; it warns that accepting the request
will reveal the user's IP address to the other side and that this
might be a security risk.

1) Such requests should be shown inline in the chat window if at all
possible.  To that end, using something non-generic which instead
passed in the PurpleConversation (or PurpleBuddy and PurpleAccount)
associated with the request would allow the UI to do that.  I don't
know if Pidgin or Finch can show a message with clickable buttons in
the message window... if they can't, they could still pop up a new
window.
2) I'd like to automatically accept Direct IM requests from buddies
on the contact list.  Precedent for this behavior can be seen in
iChat, so I don't feel like it's violating protocol conventions even
though the official AIM client does still prompt.  Again, having the
PurpleBuddy / PurpleAccount combo is needed to do this in the UI...
though we could code the autoaccept into the oscar prpl if there was
general agreement that this is a Good Idea.

Thoughts?

-Evan