Large chat room performance again

Fredrik Tolf fredrik at dolda2000.com
Sat Apr 14 23:00:26 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-14 at 12:27 -0500, Mark Doliner wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:31:44 +0200, Fredrik Tolf wrote
> > [...]
> > Is this something Gaim/Pidgin should fix, or do you think I should
>
> I don't recommend reporting this to the GTK folks unless you're sure it's a
> GTK problem.  Have you tried profiling the application using Valgrind's
> 'Callgrind' tool?

I have not. I thought of doing so, but I didn't, for two reasons:
1. It's already taking up *very* close to 100% CPU without Valgrind, so
running under Valgrind I guess it would be so slow that I wouldn't even
be able to get useful results. I'm also a bit worried about how much
buffer memory would accumulate during that time when it cannot consume
all data in time.
2. I'd probably have to let it grind for a very long to get enough data
to be visible through all the time spent on startup code.

#2 is really the greatest problem. Do you happen to know if there's any
way to turn off callgrind's data collection until Gaim has started up
completely?

Fredrik Tolf