XMPP: Composing events and <id/> tags

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Thu Apr 19 13:15:43 EDT 2007

Evan Schoenberg spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On Apr 19, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Ethan Blanton wrote:
> >Evan Schoenberg spake unto us the following wisdom:
> >>XEP-0022 (message events) [1] says that the event MUST have an <id/>
> >>tag, and that if there's no id for the associated message it should
> >>be included but have no CDATA.
> >
> >Now, I only skimmed this, and I'm not an XMPP expert ...
>
> me too, and nor am I :)
>
> >but that doesn't look relevant to us, to me.  It's for servers
> >notifying
> >senders of stored events, not clients communicating to clients.

On a more close read, I think it *is* relevant to us -- the second
paragraph seems to apply to *all* raises of events, not just stored
events.

> >There may in fact be some similar requirement for clients, but that's
> >not how I read this...
>
> I think it is relevant to us. This is a JEP we claim to implement...
> and "The Composing Event" is talking about clients notifying of
> typing status, I believe, which I don't think would be that useful
> for stored events.

Right, my question wasn't whether the XEP was relevant, but whether
that paragraph was.  I now think that my quick read this morning was
erroneous.

Carry on.  :-)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.