An important, controversial issue!

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:03:11 EDT 2007

On 4/26/07, Nathan Walp <nwalp at pidgin.im> wrote:
> Now that I think about it, reversing the 2 icons almost makes the most
> sense to me.  The one thing we all seem to agree on is that
> extended-away means gone for a significant amount of time.  Why isn't
> that the clock?

Because "extended-away means gone for a significant amount of time"
implies "away means gone for an insignificant amount of time." surely
we don't want to introduce a *third* meaning to "clock," other than
what people already have.

The compromise I agreed to a while ago, but never followed through on,
although I think that now I figured out how to do so, is to make the
AIM "away" state actually be "extended away." Then, away AIM users
show up with a notepad, away MSN and Yahoo users show up with a clock,
jabber still has a good distinction between away and xa, etc.