Sending IM API

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Fri Apr 27 16:35:46 EDT 2007

Steven Osborn spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I'm trying to plug Pidgin into a current project and I could use some
> advice as to the best approach for solving this problem because I'm
> sure it's been solved a dozen times before.
>
> Basically I want to send an IM from any account I have setup in
> Pidgin to a specified user from my external program.  How this
> happens is not extremely important.  I've started writing a Perl
> Plugin that takes tcp requests, but I really don't want to have to
> implement a tcp server.  I was wondering if it would be possible
> using gaim-send or something similar.  There may already be a plugin
> out there that will allow me to do this, but if there is I haven't
> been able to find it.

It sounds like you probably want to communicate with Pidgin over
D-bus, the same as purple-send does.  You should be able to look at
purple-send and purple-remote to get an idea for how this works; of
course, the actual D-bus interface glue may be different for your
target language.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.