List of things I don't like about using Monotone

Ethan Blanton elb at psg.com
Mon Apr 30 11:44:14 EDT 2007

Stu Tomlinson spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I do find the increase in time for the pull quite irritating. On my
> reasonably fast desktop (monotone 0.34):
>
> $ time mtn pull
> mtn: connecting to pidgin.im
> mtn: finding items to synchronize:
> mtn: certificates | keys | revisions
> mtn:       53,664 |   22 |    17,845
> mtn:  bytes in | bytes out | certs in | revs in
> mtn:    22.9 k |    15.7 k |    12/12 |     3/3
> mtn: successful exchange with pidgin.im
>
> real    0m46.042s
> user    0m10.841s
> sys     0m0.660s
>
> On slower machines I've seen it take > 1 minute even when relatively few
> revisions are involved.

I think, in this case, the slowdown is at the server -- I believe we
would be seeing some load problems with *whatever* revision control
system we used.  The monotone server is pretty much constantly in use;
we have an average of about a pull a minute in the last 48 hours, but
in fact those are not evenly distributed, and many minutes see far
more than a pull a minute.  Add the trac load to that, and pidgin.im
is seeing pretty constant use.  Monotone servers are understood to be
CPU-bound, and I think that's where you're seeing the slowdown.

That said, a 45-second pull to update all of your trees isn't bad at
all -- by contrast, updating each tree is almost instantaneous.  (And,
pulls *here*, at least, are usually faster than that -- I just pulled
4 revisions in about 30s.)

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.