Icon view buddy list

Gabriel Schulhof nix at go-nix.ca
Wed Aug 1 16:22:12 EDT 2007

Hi!

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 12:30 -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> Last night, I did this:
>
> http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/iconview.png
>
> I did this because I stumbled upon this:
>
> http://pidgin.garage.maemo.org/
>
> and thought that this:
>
> http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/iconviewmaemo.png
>
> would be more useful. When the font is made larger, (it looked like
> 16px was the standard maemo font size) it looks like:
>
> http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/iconviewmaemo2.png
>
> Is there any interest in this sort of UI, or should I 'mtn revert'
> everything and move on with my life?

Is there? (ear)*grin*(ear)

I mean, if it's not too big an effort, we should offer such a UI at
least as a preference. It's definitely easier to use with your finger
than long, narrow strips. There is another project out there (name
currently escapes me) that seeks to impose a file management paradigm on
a contact list - the result is very similar to what you showed.

There are 2 issues I can think of that would have to be addressed:

1. How do we display groups?
  1.1 How do we display expanded contacts?

Thanks a lot for this! Please, by all means, move on with your life, but
don't revert! :o)

Gabriel