Website Register

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Thu Aug 2 08:57:56 EDT 2007

On Thu, Aug 02, 2007 at 02:26:58PM +0200, Michael Post wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i want to register at your website, but i get this error.

<snip error text>

> You know about this problem?
> Greet Michael

Yes.

Over the last two weeks, the traffic coming into pidgin.im has
increased, not by a lot, but noticably as I watch our stats.  This has
led trac to take up an increased amount of CPU, of which it was already
using a ton.

With the traffic volume up, I was seeing other processes on the server
starving for CPU, and after some experimentation, found that setting a
nice value on the trac process helped significantly.  After setting it,
we have fewer (though still a significant number) of commit messages
hang for a long time before getting sent, monotone is responding a tiny
bit better, the munin graphs are being consistently generated even when
the load is high, and so on.

The downside is that trac fails to reach its database in the 20 seconds
or so (I'm stating 20 seconds from memory) that it allows before
erroring out.  This sometimes happens to a single user multiple times in
a row, but usually is resolved (from my experience) with a single
reload.  It also typically happens only to some of the users reaching
developer.pidgin.im at any given time (I will, for example, at times
reach the site or even be actively using it right after or as a report
that it has errored will come in).

I've been meaning to write something up about this, but time has gotten
away from me.

luke