Reducing tab size

Bryan Haskins kingofallhearts999 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 22:41:53 EDT 2007

I actually liked that concept, it looks great for one, for two it would be
great for people like me who only actively talk to a few people. Would it be
so hard for us to have Sean's idea for a main option then have the current
setup as another option, with an advanced section for actually scripting the
display? Like variables for status, icon, name, friendly name, close button,
etc etc. All for us power users who care about that sort of thing? It
doesn't sound impossible.

On 8/2/07, Sean Egan <seanegan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 8/2/07, Lukas Barth <tinloaf at goerresonline.de> wrote:
> > If my buddy has gone offline, it makes no sense to activate that tab.
> > The problem is: If I don't see "Buddy has gone offline" from the
> > tablist, I will activate that tab to talk to that buddy (and therefor
> > start tabbing through the tablist), then see he has gone offline and
> > have wasted time changing keyboards and tabbing through the list for
> > nothing.
>
> Right now I have 9 tabs open and my window is currently wide enough to
> hold 3 tabs without scrolling. If I'm interested in talking on any
> particular conversation, there's a 2⁄3 chance I'll need to switch to
> that tab anyway.
>
> If we remove the status icon, I can fit 6 tabs, and have only a 1⁄3
> chance of having to jump through hoops to switch to my desired
> conversation.
>
> Then, if we do something less space-filled to indicate an offline user
> – italicize the title, perhaps – then your use case is filled much
> better.
>
> > I think there is a difference between infos such as "buddy icon" or
> > "away message" and "status": Buddy icon and away message are of no
> > importance if I consider activating a certain tab (and therefor start
> > tabbing around) - the status *is* of importance in this case (as I said:
> > If the buddy is offline, there is no reason to activate the tab).
>
> That's true, but the buddy list node is our canonical representation
> of a status. The status message may actually be just as important as
> the status icon: it can be the difference between "Away - Gone for two
> weeks" and "Away - Due to auto-idle because I'm doing some homework at
> my desk but will definitely hear the Ding if you IM me."
>
> The buddy icon isn't useful as part of a status, but makes it really
> easy to pick out which friend you want from the list without having to
> even look at text.
>
> I don't really think crack.png is a practical idea (although it's
> certainly not the *worst* idea I've come up with), but I just like
> playing devil's advocate :)
>
> -s.

Cheers,
Bryan