Reducing tab size

Kevin M Stange kevin at simguy.net
Fri Aug 3 00:45:07 EDT 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On 8/2/07, Ka-Hing Cheung <khc at hxbc.us> wrote:
>> That doesn't work for me, I actually use the tab status icon to look for
>> offline/away/online.
>
> Of course, that you've grown accustomed to a behavior doesn't mean
> that it was the best, only that people are likely to complain. :)

I have absolutely no problem with an alternative representation of
offline/online, etc, but I find that having the status icon conveys to
me if a person who I knew was online went away, or offline during my
conversation.  I think perhaps an appropriate representation of offline
might be "strike-through" text, and use of italic could represent that
that they changed status since the last tab activation.  I could then
most likely infer something from the tab title text.  I would not be
able to tell if someone became available from formerly being away or
vice versa, but the most important case for me is whether or not they
are offline.

Kevin