Reducing tab size

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Fri Aug 3 07:53:27 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 12:17:03PM +0200, Hylke Bons wrote:
> I'd like to make a proposal for colored text. A good compromise I think.
> In some cases this is already used, like "offline" is grey, when someone
> is typing the text goes
> green, and when somone typed to you it's a blue bold text. I use this a
> lot as indicators,
> and i can see at a glance when someone has gone offline, so I can
> immmediatly close the
> tab without having to switch to it first.
>
> Color
> Change                                                       Already in
> Pidgin
> -------------+------------------------------------------------------+-----------
> Black            No changes in status                                      X
> Green           Back from away/idle
> Red               Busy
> Blue              Gone away
> Gray              Gone
> offline/idle                                             X
> Purple
> Typing                                                             X,
> was green
> Text inbold   Message received/said your name             X, was bold
> and red/blue
>
> The colors follow the status icons. Actually there are only 3 additions,
> and some colors have
>  been moved around to make more sense. The bold can be combined with
> more colors, like when someone has come back and messaged you: A green
> bold text.
> I think this could work
>
> Hylke

The problem with using colors is that it is hard to ensure that the
colors chosen show up for 1)color blind people  2)against all, or even a
majority, of GTK+ themes.   That's why I prefer text decorations.

Somewhere in this thread someone proposed strike through for offline.  I
prefer that to italicized.

luke