Use case for per-protocol icons

Steven Brown steven.w.j.brown at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 13:10:36 EDT 2007

Luke Schierer wrote:
<snip>
> We released in an unfinished state, yes.  That has been true of *every*
> release in this project's history.  We did so because it was not so bad
> that it could not be used, and we were fustrated with our very long gap
> between releases.  We also did so because we were unsure precisely what
> we did need to do for the next step in finishing the changes we had
> made.
I really like the new frequent release model.  It allows for greater
user-feedback on new features.

> For example, file transfer improved alot with the 2.0.0 release, what
> bugs remain?  Or another issue, we chose 6 states for the menu somewhat
> arbitrarily, are more needed? Fewer?
I still don't have full speed file transfers over MSN, but I believe
that might be fixed in the new MSN protocl work that's currently being
done as a SOC project?

> We just consolidated the formatting toolbar.  Did we do so well? (it
> seems that the answer is mixed in this case, there has been at least one
> change since the 2.1.0 release to try to fix that).
Yes!  It's fantastic!  I never used any of those buttons!  Reset Font is
great too, admittedly due to a bug that seems to have been fixed.

> The info pane is incomplete, but should it be finished, or scrapped.
Finish it, of course!  :D

> The old placing of the buddy icon was badly broken (if you did not leave
> it to size itself), so what 3rd UI should be implemented if we do scrap
> it?
Not sure of what you mean here, but perhaps save that for another thread.

> These are all questions that have been and are being profitably
> discussed on this list and in the irc and jabber channels.
Yay discussion!  :D  What are the IRC and jabber channels, by the way?
Are they listed on the website?  I'd like to hang out there to see what
discussions come up.  :)