Reducing tab size

Lukas Barth tinloaf at goerresonline.de
Tue Aug 7 13:32:55 EDT 2007

Luke Schierer schrieb:
> On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 01:25:55AM +0200, Lukas Barth wrote:
>> IMHO it's very easy to
>> distinguish between different colors (If you're not colorblind, of
>> course) - The "offline" icon is gray, the "available" is green, the
>> "dnd" is red, the "away" is blue or yellow - all of these colors can be
>> distinguished from two meters distance from the monitor.
>
> Colors are *hard.*  Even if you are not color blind.  I have long since
> lost track of the number of bugs and complaints we have seen relating to
> not being able to see this or that color against this or that
> background.

Of course a red icon on a red background bay be hard, but most of the
icons (except for the green dot[tm]) have more than one color, don't
they? Coloring *text* in a certain way to indicate a status is a bad
idea, I agree, because red text on red background would just not be
visible, but I think that even the current DnD-Icon (which is mainly
red) should be identifiable against any red background - or am I wrong?

>   The only real work around to this is to make them
> accessible to the gtkrc, but then you lose all ability to document the
> colors.  This is *not* a good situation.

I think we're talking at crossroads: I'm talking about bringing back the
status icons in tabs, not coloring buddies' names according to their
state. Even if some user would have the idea of coloring his or her
tablist very fancy, the icons would give a good contrast, I think. (I
even tried it - see the content of
http://goerresonline.de/~tinloaf/pidgin/ ).

Lukas