Reducing tab size

Jorge Villaseñor salinasv at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 00:33:21 EDT 2007

On 8/7/07, Lukas Barth <tinloaf at goerresonline.de> wrote:
> Sean Egan schrieb:
> > Anyway, I don't think anyone is claiming that text formatting is a
> > more effective means of conveying status than status icons. Status
> > icons rock.
> >
> > What's being argued is that, in this particular context, text
> > formatting may be more appropriate.
>
> I think it's "saving about 20px in width" (don't know the size of the
> margin around the icon, and I will not start grepping through the source
> for this ;)) but at the same time heavily decreasing the readability. I
> don't know if I'm the only one, but if I have a buddy striked through, i
> have trouble reading this (perhaps I just should have my visual acuity
> checked).
>
> If then this buddy is not selected the "buddystatus has changed"-factor
> is added: Strike through, italics, grayed out - I think I need some
> servant reading them out to me... I'm getting old. ;)

I still don't understand why all this (60+ emails thread) about saving
20pix (as lukas guess) It's not to much space and increase the
problems of usability.

I don't understand why are you needing to have a "creepy very small
conv window"  with the window size that is defaulted in the two days
ago mtn (I hope this was changed by now, I'm pulling) I can't really
have a conversation, I can't read what my peer have written to me.

I agree with the points exposed by lukas is easier (a lot) to see the
status icon than the text format if you are not in front of the
screen.