Telugu rendering on Windows

RKVS Raman rkvsraman at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 01:41:09 EDT 2007

Hi,

Thanks for that great help. I modified pango.aliases and things are now fine.

Here is the modified pango.aliases which will now support Hindi,
Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, Malayalam, Gujarati, Devnagari, Bengali and
Punjabi on Windows XP (SP2) .

courier = "courier new"

tahoma = "tahoma,lucida sans unicode,browallia
new,mingliu,simhei,gulimche,ms
gothic,kartika,latha,mangal,gautami,vrinda,tunga,raavi,shruti"
sans = "arial,lucida sans unicode,browallia
new,mingliu,simhei,gulimche,ms
gothic,kartika,latha,mangal,gautami,vrinda,tunga,raavi,shruti"
serif = "times new roman,angsana new,mingliu,simsun,gulimche,ms
gothic,kartika,latha,mangal,gautami,vrinda,tunga,raavi,shruti"
mono = "courier new,lucida console,courier
monothai,mingliu,simsun,gulimche,ms
gothic,kartika,latha,mangal,gautami,vrinda,tunga,raavi,shruti"
monospace = "courier new,lucida console,courier
monothai,mingliu,simsun,gulimche,ms
gothic,kartika,latha,mangal,gautami,vrinda,tunga,raavi,shruti"

Thanks again

Best Regards
-Raman
RKVS Raman
Ph. 91-80-28523300 ext 2512
rkvsraman at gmail.com
http://www.cdacbangalore.in/~raman
http://rkvsraman.blogspot.com

On 8/7/07, Daniel Atallah <daniel.atallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/7/07, Luke Schierer <lschiere at pidgin.im> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 07, 2007 at 05:15:46PM +0530, RKVS Raman wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am translating pidgin to telugu on windows. I compiled it with GTK
> > > to find boxes instead of telugu characters on windows UI. Do i need to
> > > change anything in settings to be able to see Telugu? Tamil and Hindi
> > > render fine.
> > >

> > I am posting this to devel as well as i18n because several of the win32
> > guys are not on the i18n list.
> >
> > The problem here is that you do not have fonts that GTK+ can find that
> > have the glyphs (characters) you need.  This may be because you do not
> > have them at all, or that GTK+ is not finding them.
>
> I don't know which font(s) have Telugu coverage on Windows (Does
> Windows actually have any?).  Once you figure out which fonts should
> be used, the way to make GTK+ use them is outlined in the trac ticket
> here: http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/191#comment:7
>
> -D

RKVS Raman
Ph. 91-80-28523300 ext 2512