How to know a new message arrived

Rafael Almeida almeidaraf at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 21:32:39 EDT 2007

Hello,

I'm using the xmonad window manager with dzen2 status bar. That status
bar just print on the screen the string it gets from the pipe. For
instance, if I want to see the time on the status bar I'd need to
write a script such as:
  #!/bin/sh
  while true ; do
      au=`date +"%H.%M %a %b %d"`
      printf "%s |%s\n" "$au" "$ut"
      sleep 60
  done
and then call dzen2 like this:

% status | dzen2

where status is the script I just described.

Now, I want the "status" script to print "New message!" when I get new
message on pidgin. So I figure I'd use the pidgin-remote program. But
I can't find the function that would tell me if there's unseen
messages and I don't know how to get all the dbus interface so I can
see all the functions I'm able to call from pidgin-remote.

Is there a better way to achive what I want (I don't want to change
window manager)? If not, what function should I call?

Thank you for the attention,
Rafael