Dialog transience relationships

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Aug 14 01:31:55 EDT 2007

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 23:35:16 +0300, Gabriel Schulhof wrote
> 1. Add a parameter of the form void *ui_data to all the
> {pidgin,purple}_request_* functions just before void *user_data. This
> parameter can be NULL, but, if set, it is a GtkWindow * of the parent.

This seems reasonable.  But, like, what happens if a user types "/config" in a
Jabber chat room?  purple_request_fields() is called from the Jabber PRPL.
Will the Jabber PRPL be able to provide a GtkWindow to use?

I also like the other suggestion about using a hint to specify if the dialog
should be associated with the buddy list, or the accounts window, or a
conversation window.  It seems like that would cover most cases.

> This would be fairly invasive, I think, because it involves changing
> a pile of APIs in both libpurple and Pidgin.

That's cool.  Making these changes is a good idea and I think it's better to
do it right than to do it early and have to change it later.

-Mark