Can pidgin work with openssl?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:02:24 EDT 2007

I just don't see the reason. (That is a blind statement and doesn't
point to any identified problem.) I guess my question would be
directed at the fsf. I read the GPL
and from everything I read about it it does not prohibit you from
using libraries written with some other license. I was pretty sure
this is common place. I thought some gnu software was compiled against
C libs that where not GPLed for some systems. I read the openssl
license and it is really short I just don't see where the issue is.

Richard Stallman just can't stand it when people use anything other
than code that guarantees that derivative codes stay open source.
Maybe it was based off of an older version of the openssl license.
Maybe I need to look around openssl's code more for more license info?
Or maybe its just Richard Stallman's blind hatred. But I really don't
see the incompatibilities.