Reducing tab size

Lukas Barth tinloaf at goerresonline.de
Sat Aug 18 13:01:14 EDT 2007

Sean Egan schrieb:
> So far, it seems like the main reason people don't like this is the
> so-called "dancing widgets" hypothesis. Again,
> http://pidgin.im/~seanegan/dancing.gif doesn't seem like a big deal to
> me. The real quesiton is: what purpose does a tab in a notebook serve
> if it's the only one there? It seems like the tab-bar is a waste of
> space if there's only one tab. Why does the benefit of avoiding the
> "dance" outweigh the cost of that wasted space?

I agree here - the instant when the widgets go dancing for a microsecond
should happen to most of Pidgin's users only once or twice a day, and I
guess that most of them won't look at the window right at that moment
anyway (or are you watching your conversations 24 hours a day?).

At the same time it would be consistent with the "save space"-movement
most of the latest UI changes were made for, if the tabs were removed in
case there is only one conversation. Sure, it's not much space saved,
but the tab is just useless there - so why display it?

Lukas