Account editor

Catch-all aidan at aidans.org
Tue Aug 21 22:02:58 EDT 2007

On 21/08/2007, at 11:13 PM, Daniel Atallah wrote:

> On 8/21/07, Aidan Steele <aidan at aidans.org> wrote:
>> However, I likewise found the term "alias" confusing at first.
>> However,
>> "display name" is probably no better on account of people
>> wondering why they
>> should know their buddies' display names to add them. Perhaps
>> "custom[ised]
>> alias"?
>
> The problem with all of these is that they don't necessarily imply
> that it is a local alias for *you* only; not what is displayed to your
> buddies - there has been a fair amount of confusion about this in the
> past; that is why we renamed it to "Local Alias" from "Alias".  I
> think you'd be hard pressed to come up with something better than
> "Local Alias" that conveys this intended meaning - if you do come up
> with something, we'd be happy to consider it.

My apologies. I am most familiar with Adium and libpurple (and had
not been following this thread as closely as I should have been) and
was unaware that a change had been effected / proposed. I do indeed
think that "local alias" is preferable.

Perhaps a context-sensitive info panel might do the trick? Add a few
lines at the bottom of the window that explain (in a sentence or two)
what purpose each field serves. That is one sure-fire way of
disambiguating the dialogue once and for all.

- Aidan Steele