AIM file transfers to Pidgin are marked "Failed" in AOL Instant Messenger

Kyryll A Mirnenko aka Mirya mirya at zoc.com.ua
Tue Aug 28 06:57:45 EDT 2007

I've already sent this topic here (search for "Oscar file transfers
declared "failed" in AIM Express"), but maybe someone here has an updated
information.

The problem in short: when sending a file from AOL Instant Messenger 6.x (it's
not about 5.x) to Pidgin the latter receives the file successully, but AOL
Instant Messenger on other side marks the file transfer as "Failed".

Some information discovered: Miranda IM OSCAR plugin version 7 (stable version
is 6, 7th version is included with a preview build) accepts files from AOL
Instant Messenger and the latter marks them as "Finished" (non-failed), so
it's code is the source to look for solution. Note the same Miranda plugin is
unable to send files on other hand, only receive.

Of course AOL Instant Messenger markes files as "Finished" when sending them
to another AOL Instant Messenger successfully, but we've got no sources :)

I've sniffed OftFrame packets and chenged some values in libpurple to
eliminate differences with what AOL Instant Messenger and Pidgin send in
response to an incomging file transfers (some values were different in the
final 0x204 OftFrame packet), but it didn't help. For now it looks for me
than both cases are exchanging the same packets, but one works as expected
while another raises "Failed' status in AOL client, so I'm stuck.

If someone is interested in solving this problem or has any information that
can help, I will be glad to have a discussion here.

A ticket exists for this problem: http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/2489
--
Regards, Mirya
ICQ #313898202