having pidgin run commands from the im windows?

Ankit Singla anksingla at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 14:28:34 EST 2007

EternalOrb at gmail.com wrote:
> """""* Conor Fitzsimons had this to say on [01 Dec 2007, 23:36:37 -0500]:
>

> It sounds like you want to use the command API in purple. Look at the
> uses of purple_cmd_register in pidgin source.
>
> We can probably have a 'Command API How-To'. John? :D
>
> Sadrul
> """""
>
> as a branch from the above,
> would it be possible to modify the above suggestion to include not only commands that effect pidgin that the local user enters (see examples above),
> but to grab command text, which i would assume needs a specific formatting, that could run commands on a local machine via input from a remote user?
> as an example: my roommate and myself constantly torrent, but many times the other is not in the apartment, and has his door locked. well,
> if our torrents are leaching bandwidth to the point that webbrowsing is pointless, it would be a nice thing to simply be able to send the other an IM
> (both of us use pidgin) saying something to the tune of "-/- close torrent program", and on our local machines, we could have pidgin configured that
> when it received that message, it would follow a specific set of user defined instructions, namely, close the torrent program.

Hm...if I understand you correctly, you want a way for another user to
run commands on your computer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that a
huge security risk? I'm sure it's possible to implement. It would
require parsing every incoming message and if one comes in starting with
a certain string then run whatever follows as a command. It just seems
like a bad idea.