im.pidgin.pidgin: 87a81ecce720018f2f6c6d2983c0259ae3c88814

Kevin Stange kevin at simguy.net
Mon Dec 3 16:58:08 EST 2007

Daniel Atallah wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2007 10:11 AM, Stu Tomlinson <stu at nosnilmot.com
> <mailto:stu at nosnilmot.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 18:45 -0500, datallah at pidgin.im
>     <mailto:datallah at pidgin.im> wrote:
>     >
>     > Better error messages for common Winsock errors. This was Kevin's
>     wonderful idea.
>
>     I agree this is wonerful as far as display to the end user is
>     concerned,
>     but these are now going to be translated making it much harder to spot
>     them in debug logs.
>

> I agree with your concern and my initial thought was that these
> shouldn't be translated, however strerror() is supposed to produce
> locale strings (and hopefully having translated errors will better allow
> people to understand what is going wrong).

The error messages themselves should definitely be in the user's locale
to allow them to try to undersand and fix the issue themselves.

> Do you have an idea of how we can improve the situation?

We should print an error to the debug log as well using
purple_debug_error with the untranslated string, as we do for much of
the trace information, since that is more for developers, and not end-users.

Kevin