im.pidgin.pidgin: dd6cba65ba8ebf4bfc960ab89cd787ebf378881b

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 01:23:15 EST 2007

On Dec 3, 2007 6:55 PM,  <nosnilmot at pidgin.im> wrote:
> Set the entry area size to N+1 lines where where there are N lines of text
> already, I like this about a billion times more than what we have at the
> moment. What do others think? Does it kill the experience for minimalistic
> folks? (Sean?)

Well, the rationale behind auto-resizing is that you want to maximize
the amount of room in the conversation window devoted to the backlog.
A bunch of that space would be taken by the text input area, which all
of us admit we would normally have it manually sized to be larger than
needed.

Here, you're intentionally wasting that space, adding a line of
whitespace which will only ever be used if you have typed more than 4
lines of text (which is probably exceedingly rare).

I'd probably prefer MAX(lines, 2) over (lines + 1), but if everyone
really hates me, we should probably just go back to using the GtkPaned
widget and try to make it work correctly.

-Sean.

PS If you haven't read
http://missig.org/julian/projects/jabber/iChat%20and%20Gabber%20Interfaces%20Investigated.pdf
yet, that's the paper that convinced me on this.