im.pidgin.pidgin: dd6cba65ba8ebf4bfc960ab89cd787ebf378881b

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Tue Dec 4 02:39:38 EST 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 6:55 PM,  <nosnilmot at pidgin.im> wrote:
>> Set the entry area size to N+1 lines where where there are N lines of text
>> already, I like this about a billion times more than what we have at the
>> moment. What do others think? Does it kill the experience for minimalistic
>> folks? (Sean?)
<snip>
> I'd probably prefer MAX(lines, 2) over (lines + 1), but if everyone
> really hates me, we should probably just go back to using the GtkPaned
> widget and try to make it work correctly.
>
> -Sean.

I'm somewhat unsure what I'd like to see, but I think both of these solutions
are reasonable.  I personally prefer a two-line fixed-size input box without
imhtml toolbar (manually-applied formatting?  What's that?), so I think Sean's
suggestion of MAX(lines, 2) might be the better approach.  We could always try
both for a few days each and then decide, couldn't we?

Sitting back and thinking for a moment, I find it interesting to realize that
prior to the infopane, the input box was essentially forced to be as tall as the
buddy icon, thus we would almost certainly never have been discussing this
issue.  Of course, back then, I couldn't have my nice two-line input box either.
 Thank you, infopane, for getting the buddy icon away from my input box!  Thanks
also for opening the door to interesting discussions over little details in the
conv window ;)

John