im.pidgin.pidgin: dd6cba65ba8ebf4bfc960ab89cd787ebf378881b

Gary Kramlich grim at reaperworld.com
Tue Dec 4 23:48:24 EST 2007

Sean Egan wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2007 3:25 PM, Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com> wrote:
>> Maximizing the backlog when my window is already 385px is a bit over
>> zealous.  It does absolutely nothing for me except make my UI, make it
>> harder for me to read,
>
> How does it make your UI harder to read?

As I've expressed before, I read and type all the time, and hey look, my
lines now move while reading.  Just like reading in a car really, and
not something I should be forced to endure while I am in fact stationary.

>> and emits a ton of signals for widget
>> resizing/exposing.
>
> I imagine this is a performance argument? I suspect that an additional
> size-allocate keystroke every 80 or so keystrokes is negligable. Do
> you have reason to suspect otherwise?

See elb's comment on this.

>> If need be I can screen shot and measure in the gimp, but I really don't
>> think I need roughly 60% of my window as backlog.
>
> So you need 50% of your window as backlog and 10% of it as mostly
> unused whitespace?

Do you _really_ want to play the white space card here...  Look at my
screen shot and tell me we're not already wasting a ton of space...

> You do bring up a good point that the paper I referenced mentioned.
> They mention that studies have concluded that the more backlog
> available the better, but also that nobody actually ever looks at it.
> What they conclude is that since context is hugely important, and
> people never bother scrolling up, that most of the users being studied
> *do* benefit from maximizing the back scroll. While we're not 'average
> users,' nor do we go out of our way to design for them, I do see the
> logic there, and admit that they match my usage pretty well.
>
> -s.

You know what I've realized over the years... Blanket cases are never
the correct approach.  Attempting to provide more context by showing
more backlog that according to your quote isn't even used, seems like a
waste of time and effort in even making it available.  By your own
admissions you've pointed out that it's pointless, and I'm in awe at why
we're still discussing this.

- --
Gary Kramlich <grim at reaperworld.com>