Showing tab bar when there is only one

Shreevatsa R shreevatsa at cmi.ac.in
Mon Dec 24 22:15:14 EST 2007

* Quoting Sadrul Habib Chowdhury who at 2007-12-23 02:46:41-0500 (Sun) wrote
> * Sadrul Habib Chowdhury had this to say on [13 Dec 2007, 03:37:00 -0500]:
> > * Sean Egan had this to say on [12 Dec 2007, 23:23:28 -0800]:
> > >
> > > I do intend to do that for 2.4.0. (as I intended to for 2.2.0 and 2.3.0 ;))
> > >

> > I have http://pidgin.im/~sadrul/pp/typing_notification_in_imhtml.patch
> > which adds a '.. is typing' message at the end of the message history.
>
> I committed this patch. Not everyone likes this, apparently (and they
> also haven't discovered this mailing list yet). I don't have a problem
> if someone reverts the change, and/or writes a plugin for the same
> functionality. Of course, everyone can also choose to keep complaining
> about it, instead. I don't have a problem with that either.

I like this BTW, thanks for writing it :-)

The place where these notifications appear reminds me of a question:
Would it (not) be nice if the conversation started filling up from the
bottom instead of the top of the window? Right now, with a tall enough
conversation window, the position of the "last line" starts at the top
of the window and slowly moves down until there is one screenful of
conversation, then finally it stops and stays there. I think it's
better for the user's focus to consistently stay near the input area
than to have to keep jumping up and down for some time in each
conversation.
I don't know if the GTK widget supports this, or if it would look
ugly, but this (starting from the bottom) is what Finch and Gmail chat
seem to do.

Thanks,