Some suggestions on the infopane of conversation

Etan Reisner pidgin at unreliablesource.net
Mon Jul 2 19:32:56 EDT 2007

On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 10:59:53AM -0700, Sean Egan wrote:
> On 6/28/07, Mark Doliner <mark at kingant.net> wrote:
> > I very much prefer having status icons in tabs.
>
> We managed for 5 years before Etan thought "hm, I wonder if that might
> be useful." And, now he's neutral on it.

We managed but got comments about it or I wouldn't have worked on it. I
think Robot101 was the main instigator.

> I'm really neutral on the issue, I swear. My thoughts right now are
> just that the tabs serve a purpose: to let you select and choose from
> a a number of conversations. It's purpose isn't (directly) to serve as
> a mini-buddy list, telling everyone your status. By keeping everything
> but the text off of the tab, it serves its purpose much better.
>
> I think, but could be convinced otherwise (though it looks like I may
> have to concede without being convinced ;) ), that maximizing the
> number of tabs in the window has a greater benefit than knowing the
> presence of the buddies in that window.

I agree with you that tabs serve the purpose of allowing you to multiplex
the conversations in a window and that maximizing the number of tabs in a
window is a worthwhile goal, but I think in this case you are focusing a
bit too much on what I imagine is a small set of people, namely the people
who have a very large amount of tabs open at all times and who use top or
bottom tabs.

Granted, we have received comments in the past about whether there was
something we could do to make the GtkNotebook scroll arrows suck less and
I actually think that might be a useful project to undertake, but I don't
think the amount of those comments we received is large enough to warrant
removing the potentially useful information that the status icon can
convey.

> -s.

	-Etan