Merging XMPP SoC branch

Evan Schoenberg evan.s at dreskin.net
Sat Jul 14 13:10:08 EDT 2007

On Jul 14, 2007, at 11:42 AM, Ethan Blanton wrote:

> From the monotone tutorial:
>
> http://monotone.ca/docs/Basic-Network-Service.html
>
> and the next page:
> http://monotone.ca/docs/Synchronising-Databases.html
>
> These are a good, trivial introduction to getting a netsync server up
> and running.  For interaction of only two or three developers,
> monotone also supports an ssh method (similar to cvs :ext:), where
> someone could just pop up a group-readable database on a shared server
> someplace.  (For information about this, see
> http://monotone.ca/docs/Other-Transports.html .)

Thank you, and Richard, too, for pointing out the needed reading.  I
had indeed not read the monotone manual.  I have read
UsingPidginMonotone and MonotoneLimitations from Pidgin Trac and
DaggyFixes (as recommended in UsingPidginMonotone) from the monotone
wiki.  I thought based on this material that I had a sufficient grasp
of monotone and had treated the Pidgin pages as a sufficient crash
course.  Clearly this left at least one (and probably multiple) gaps
in my knowledge.  I'm not sure when I'll have time to read the full
monotone manual, but I won't be asking another monotone related
question in a public space until I have.

> Not to be a smartass, but note that all of these pages are from the
> monotone manual, available on monotone.ca and via 'info monotone'.
> The first two are in the new-user tutorial.  I *highly* recommend
> reading through that tutorial; it's only a few pages, and it will help
> start to break down the scars of years using crappy VCS systems.

No offense taken - I do appreciate this being a concluding side note
rather than the theme of your explanation.  I was laboring under the
paradox of inquiry and hadn't realized that there was a body of
highly relevant material beyond UsingPidginMonotone in the manual.

Thanks,
Evan