Question about Pidgin and ipv6

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Mon Jul 16 11:27:29 EDT 2007

Ford, Michael spake unto us the following wisdom:
> I had been wondering about the ability of pidgin to utilize ipv6, so I
> downloaded openfire, along with two instances of the pidgin client. I
> have the openfire server and a pidgin client running on one machine, and
> the pidgin client running on a second machine with a switch in between
> them. Although it wasn't the best practice, I started off assuming that
> I would have to do some reconfigurations in order to allow for ipv6
> support on the client side; Openfire already advertises as being ipv6
> compatible. Looking for resources, I found this:

Pidgin has supported XMPP over IPv6 for quite some time (years, even).
In fact, Pidgin supports (I believe) all protocols which may have
native IPv6 servers, over IPv6.  (Most commercial IM services do not.)

> http://developer.pidgin.im/ticket/1075

This is Windows-specific; are you running on Windows?

> I'm happy that pidgin supports ipv6, but I don't like not knowing how
> it's done. Can someone explain to me why pidgin would be able to send
> ipv6 packets even if I didn't make the code changes in both clients?

Fortunately, you have all of the tools at hand to know precisely how
it's done.  See libpurple/proxy.c.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.