Typing icon

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Wed Jul 25 12:32:34 EDT 2007

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 15:14:21 +0200, Hylke Bons wrote
> Here is a proposal for the new "typing" icon:
>
> http://bomahy.nl/hylke/pidgin/thought0.png
> http://bomahy.nl/hylke/pidgin/thought1.png
> http://bomahy.nl/hylke/pidgin/thought2.png
> http://bomahy.nl/hylke/pidgin/thought3.png
> http://bomahy.nl/hylke/pidgin/typing.gif
>
> The gif is of lesser quality, because it's gif. :)
> I think this works best when it replaces the status icon in the infopane
> when someone is typing to you. For "stopped typing" thought0.png can
> be used.

My biggest problem with this, with our current icon, and with
http://bomahy.nl/hylke/typing.gif is that the animation is very small and hard
to see.  Didn't our old typing icon have a finger jumping around the keyboard
pushing keys?  That seemed more obvious to me.

I prefer a keyboard over a thought bubble, but I don't have a strong opinion.

I'm also cool with getting rid of the icon and using text ("this buddy is
typing a message") instead.

-Mark