Typing icon

Ethan Blanton elb at pidgin.im
Wed Jul 25 12:50:25 EDT 2007

Sean Egan spake unto us the following wisdom:
> On 7/24/07, Hylke Bons <h.bons at student.rug.nl> wrote:
> > You take the words right out of my mouth! :)
>
> Regardless, we still don't have a good place to put the icon. I don't
> want to replace or supplant the buddy icon with it, and it's still an
> awkward size not used anywhere else in the conversation window (except
> smileys).
>
> What do you guys think of the way Finch (and Google Talk, which is
> where I first saw it) does typing notifications? Keeping a "so-and-so
> is typing" status line at the bottom of the conversation.

This is also what iChat has done for a very long time.  I think it's
not a bad idea.  I dislike the dancing-text effect when people start
and stop typing in some applications (I think iChat used to do this,
but no longer does), so we want to avoid that.

Ethan

determined to commit crimes.