Does pidgin need an Internet connection per se or can it run on internal Corporate LAN?

Bill Fassler bill.fassler at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 16:04:30 EDT 2007

Thats enlightening.  I built pidgin from the source tarball for pidgin-2.0.0 on the SlackWare box and I still don't have bonjour.  I am also now in the process of building, installing and configuring the jabber server, so I most likely won't even need bonjour, but I would like to understand what hoops I may have to jump through to get it if and when I may decide to try it.

Regards,
Bill

Luke Schierer <lschiere at pidgin.im> wrote: On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:02:07AM -0700, Bill Fassler wrote:
> OK thanks I am just trying to understand my options.  I do not have bonjour as a selection on either of my GAIM clients.  My Ubuntu box is suppose to be 100% updated. I will leave the isolated LAN and connect to the outside WAN just to see if I can find pidgin and/or an IM server that I can install.
>
> BTW - Why is the application still GAIM on my new Ubuntu distribution?
>
> I just configured and built pidgin on the slackware box and when I went into /usr/local/bin and launched it, it claimed that it couldn't find libpurple even though I see it in /usr/local/lib.
>
> I just did a regular native build
>
> ./configure
> make
> make install

Like most distributions, ubuntu only updates its released versions for
security and other significant bugs.  The next version will have the
newer software.

Many of the distros do not compile with bonjour support, because it
requires other libraries.  In particular, ubuntu does not because the
howl compat libraries are not in main, but only in universal.

luke