Possible idea for pidgin's UI

Sean Egan seanegan at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 13:27:33 EDT 2007

On 7/26/07, David Prieto <frandavid100 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  After seeing Sean's post in his blog, regarding the redesigned UI for
> Pidgin, I thought it would be cool to remove the text entry space from the
> window and write text directly on the conversation window, more or less like
> cohoba does.

That does look like an interesting idea. I looked at screenshots of
"Cohoba," and notice that it does little to distinguish 'messages from
me' from 'messages from you.' I suppose we could print the:

My name:

bit and then have people type next to it.

I'm mostly concerned that the UI offers no hints at all that you need
to do something to send a message. There was a bit of backlash when we
removed the Send button, but we were able to successfully argue that
people will figure out to hit Enter; this UI makes it harder to do
that.

Further, we want to move to a new display widget that actually
supports HTML to replace our aging GtkIMHtml which is outliving its
usefulness. I'm not sure how well this idea fits in with that plan.

-s.