Revision 9058fe6e7cd1f26b40f3f0e298214bc75b1e576d

Stu Tomlinson stu at nosnilmot.com
Fri Jun 1 21:20:55 EDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 20:55 -0400, Nathan Walp wrote:
> Stu Tomlinson wrote:
> > How about we a) only disable linkifying for join messages, and b) fix
> > purple_email_is_valid to require multiple domain parts?
> >

> Only disabling them in join means that "Foo at Bar left the room" still
> gets linkified.

Only if you decline my suggestion (b). (and I made that suggestion
because in all of SILC, IRC & XMPP the 'left the room' message only uses
the nick and not anything that might look more like an email address)

> And a domain with only 1 part still makes a perfectly valid email address.

That is true, but in the context of linkifying in an IM client it is not
necessarily useful. Admittedly I deliberately made
purple_email_is_valid() accept it, but I doubt it's used to verify such
addresses *ever*.

> Maybe we need the ability to tag parts of a message as not needing
> linkification, so we could send "<span linkify="false">Clint at Work
> messages, could put "<span linkify="false">Clint at Work left the
> room</span> (Download this: http://pidgin.im/)"

I feel the pain that finch might suffer. It's also starting to sound
like it needs buy-in from other clients, or standardization or other
stuff that scares me a lot.

Regards,

Stu.